Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Ice box cookies!

Today I'm going to share with you my recipe for Ice Box cookies.  They're delicious, easy to make, and handy to have around!  You make up a batch, freeze them in logs in wax paper or parchment, and then just slice and bake when you need them!  This is one recipe I won't be without at Christmas time.
Here we see our dough. Mmmmmm....

And our finished cookies...albeit slightly over-baked. lol

Okay, time for the recipe!
For this one as for most of my recipes here I use the Nearly Normal Gluten free flour recipe from my first post.

2 1/2 cups gluten free flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
Mix these three well with a wooden spoon.

1cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1cup icing sugar
Cream together these three ingredients, then mix in the following

1 egg
2tsp. vanilla (I love Epicure's vanilla)

At this point you have a really thick clumpy batter and all that's left to do is to add the cherries!
chop up 1/2 cup each red and green glace. cherries, and add into the mixture. 
Then scoop up some mixture onto wax paper and form into 4 logs using the wax paper to form the logs.  Gluten free batter is REALLY STICKY and not so much fun to work with if you're using bare hands!

Chill for at least an hour in the fridge before cutting into 1/4" thick slices and bake at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes.
This will keep upto 5 days in the fridge or upto 1 month in the freezer.  They smell wonderful when they're baking, and taste delicious!  You won't even miss the regular wheat flour!

I hope you have a chance to try this recipe out this Christmas.  It's become a family favourite.  Next time I get back to the blog, I'll post my gingerbread recipe!
Happy Baking!


No comments:

Post a Comment